By default, WordPress comes with a built-in category called Uncategorized. It works as the default fallback category. When you publish a post without selecting a category, WordPress automatically assigns that post to Uncategorized category.
I prefer to rename this category to something else, as the name Uncategorized sound unprofessional. To rename this category follow the steps given below.
- Login to your WordPress Dasboard.
- Navigate to Posts >> Categories.
- Move the mouse over Uncategorized.
- An edit link will appear. Click the edit link
- Change the name and slug.
- Hit the Update button